Monday, October 6, 2008

Rotation 3 - Wellness Center/Nac ER & Ambulance



This is the Wellness Center; home of my third clinical rotation. It is conveniently located across Ag Pond, where many athletes used to reside, and in front or behind (depending on where you're standing) of Homer Bryce Stadium (in the distant). My days here started bright and early at 6:00am and I was usually out before 8:00am. Then I would go back in the afternoon for two hours from 3:00pm to 5:00pm. The Clinical Instructor (CI) here was Brittany, who is the Asst. Strength & Conditioning Coach, but she didn't like being called "coach" so Brittany was just fine.
This wasn't the most fun rotation. In fact, students in the past have called this the most boring. On day one, this nickname became very clear to me. There is no involvement as far as doing anything athletic training-related, but we do however, get to watch each team workout. In the beginning, the rules, or should I say limitations, were strict and straightforward. No talking to athletes. No spotting. Ask questions, but not during instruction. I was determined to make the best of this rotation.
By day three, there were some changes to the set of rules. I was asking questions and interacting with Britney, but only after the workouts. I would ask questions about compliance, coach relations, player relations, instruction style, etc. I am very happy Britney gave very good and thoughtful answers to all my questions. By the end of the week, I was helping with workouts for the softball team and getting more comfortable everyday.

No comments: