Sunday, March 8, 2009

Rotation III - Softball

Alright. So here's the deal, everyone is saying 'what a lucky guy I must be' because my last rotation, which was softball, was practically on-the-road the entire time, and as a Level I graduate student, I am not allowed to travel with them.  During the scheduled two-week rotation (excluding weekends), I spent a total of six days with the team, which were all practices, and consequently equates to time away from the sport.  That is just not the case.  I really wanted to see this team play!  The main reason I wanted to see this team in action is because they have one of the most relaxed practices I have ever witnessed, and I wanted to see if that transcended onto the playing field.  I know they are currently under .500, but they did suprisingly knock off a nationally-ranked Texas A&M team, and boldly exceuted this in the Aggies' own house!  I mean, they went whole hog on 'em.  

As for the clinical rotation itself, I very much enjoyed my time there.  The Level II graduate student assigned is Donyelle, and there is also an undergraduate student assigned to this sport, Katie.  So between two other coaches and I, there were three males around the entire time.  That certainly did not bother me.  The Clinical Instructor is Jana, who is a 2nd year Graduate Assistant with SFA.  This was Jana's first time being a Clinical Instructor, and I was her lucky first subject.  Knowing this information, I entered this rotation with no expectations, mainly because I had nothing to go off of, like prior students detailing her personality. What I liked about Jana right from the beginning is that she actually quizzed me on injuries, anatomy, rehab, and treatment options!  I loved that!  Never before has a Clinical Instructor done that.  Jana was also good in explaining her other duties with softball that are not necessarily relevant to athletic training.  Such duties as hotel information, food, and travel.  She opened my eyes to the many responsibilities an athletic trainer may have to be well-versed in.  Additionally, she was well prepared in having her staff prepared.  Everything is always much better when everyone is on the same page and her student athletes seemed to know their roles and procedures.  I can definitely see that in her personality.  

What I did not like is that I was unable to talk about anything related to classwork, for example, proficiency testing/practicing unless it was scheduled 24 hours in advance.  That, I did NOT understand!  For instance, there was one particular time when it was super dead in the training room, and there was one softball athlete recieving treatment.  Jana's own words were, "wow, it must be a slow day today," and I, seeking opportunity and taking initiative (because that is my biggest complaint on my evaluations), asked politely, "well since it is slow, do you think we can practice some head/neck stuff?," and her response was a swift "no, schedule it."  Okay.  And some variation of this happened two other times, one where an athlete was recieving a paraffin treatment and I asked if I do it, can I count this as a practice? Answer was a "no, schedule it 24 hours in advance."  That is fine, I understand it is your rotation/sport and you manage it however you want.  I mean, I would manage it the way I wanted, also!  But the line between unreasonable and overmuch, here - is thin.  

I liked the rotation because the players really seem to enjoy Jana, she knows her stuff, and she does not interact with them like they are elementary children.  And this in turn, meant the players treated me and the other student trainers with apropriateness and respect.  This probably reflects some of the coaches' personality as well.  But without reading into all of that, softball definitely is a cool rotation.  I really appreciated Jana asking me questions regarding injuries and athletic training related things, because afterall, we are here to learn. 

No comments: