Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Why I decided to buy a motorcycle

Kinda kept this one on the low-low, but not really, though. "On the low-low" as in, didn't tell my family members; and as in family members, I really mean my Grandmother, because if she had found out, she would definitely disapprove, and although I am an adult and think/work/earn for myself, if she says "No," then it ain't goin' down! So, I did what any thinking/working/earning adult would do in this situation, and I didn't tell her =)

Needless to say, I went out and bought a motorcycle.

Why? I've always had a fascination with bikes since a little kid when my Uncle Ricky first took me on a ride on his Harley, and I was sooo scared that (even though we only went around the block), that I had my eyes closed the entire time. Then my cousin (his son) began riding mini-bikes and scooters, which only fed into my fascination and admiration. My brother soon after got one of those old Honda scooters, you know the big red ones with the 8" wheels, for like $300 and we'd ride that - before it broke down. But I suppose the height of my fascination came when Giovanni (you may know him as the Red Bull guy) and I went on a weekend-long trip to MotoGP in 2006 at Laguna Seca Raceway, and it was there, where I really learned about the lifestyle, comradery, and fraternity-like inclusiveness that comes with being a part of this culture.



Ever since that weekend, I just needed a reason to get one. And that reason came in the form of an indirect "demand" from an unnamed Program Director, and I began my search in Februrary-March 2009 to buy my first motorcycle. The research was extensive, from reading online reports, messaging friends on Facebook, registering for Forums asking questions, making phone calls, studying California/Texas motorcycle laws, calling dealerships, scouring Craigslist.org, etc. I was all over the place.


Finally got entered in a Safety course, which I highly recommend, and not just for the Insurance break, but to actually learn something new, or reinfornce what you already did know. Passed the course, and passed the written test (on the 3rd try! Hey, the questions were sooooo vaque; they're intentionally that way, too), and now the only thing left was to track down the perfect bike. Well, maybe not perfect, but affordable, stylish, economical, low-maintainence, fast, dependable, and downright fun! Ladies and gentleman, I present to you, Mean Green










I love this motorcycle, and the pictures here don't do it any justice; it is a beauty in-person. Rode it from Houston to Nacogdoches in a little over 4 hours. I'm still sore... =)

No comments: