Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Notes from the Field - Journal 2

Time has gone by so fast! When looking at the schedule, I see there is only three more weeks in the season. We are currently 4-1, which is good enough for sole possession of 3rd place in the Southland Conference, and if we beat Texas State (5-0-1), then SFA will be lonely atop of the conference. I haven't started fitting the size of my conference championship ring just yet, but I'm saving a finger, all the while keeping them crossed. I am really excited about the possibilities of winning the Conference, and that is why this weekend (24th & 25th) are so important.


But, back to the Athletic Training perspective. Up to this point, the sort of injuries we've seen are as follows;


  • Tear of posterior horn of the meniscus, partial ACL tear, LCL tear
  • Syndesmotic ankle sprain
  • Peroneal tendon irritation
  • Wrist UCL sprain
  • Hamstring strain
  • Grade I-II quadriceps strains
  • among other general illnesses!

For most part, I have had the sole responsibilty of deciding treatment options and designing rehabilitation programs for each injury, of course with the consideration of the ACI. The entire process of determining the best options for each athlete, and progressing them through varying levels of intensity has been very exciting. The athletes have responded well to the types of exercises we have been doing, and with the help of Trey, they have stronger confidence in me, and even look to me for advice and opinion.


At this point, I am convinced that Eddie Beltran and I were a good match to work together. He and I gel nicely in the work environment, and have developed a functional understanding of eachother's approaches. I believe our natural working relationship has positively affected the team in regards to the girls being more relaxed and playful around us. Definetely the girls know I'm the more serious one, and I like being viewed that way, with Eddie being the more joking of us two. The girls really feed off him a lot. It is a really good dynamic. Nonetheless, I think it benefits the entire team psychologically when they see the staff as relaxed as we are

There is a huge difference between Year 1 and Year 2 of the program. Being with a specific team for longer than two weeks, obviously, allows for a lot more time for interaction and getting to know athletes personally. Also, I think the best part is being able to work with an athlete throughout their entire injury, and seeing them return to play. In Year 1, one would get a taste of this very feeling, with either being there for the beginning of the injury or while they're returing, but rarely be able witness the entire process.


Regardless of how we finish the season, I have enjoyed my time here tremendously!

No comments: