Thursday, November 19, 2009

Service Learning Grant - Magnolia West High School


As a part of a Service Learning Grant our program received, we collectively decided to do a presentation at Magnolia West High School and discuss Sports Nutrition related topics to high school athletes. Between the seven of us, the topics ranged from fast food consumption, dietary supplements, energy drinks, and I gave my presentation on water hydration. Each presentation was about ten minutes long, and mainly given lecture-style, with some audience participation, and questions. Overall, I feel the presentation went smooth, and although the delivery could have been better, I do not think anyone had a problem with the outcome.

I was the second presenter, which I personally prefer, because my style of speech-giving allows for a more "loose" feel, and I like to feel as if I am casually speaking to my audience; so I appreciate AJ and Josh for loosening up the crowd for me. Their topic covered nutritional supplements, and for most part, they gave a straightforward fact-based speech about the choices out there, and if you decide, how to properly combine supplements with regular dieting.

Appropriately enough, after they just finished speaking about what not to put in your body, I race up to the front of the room, with a jar full of candy and chocolate in tow. The first line from my mouth was, "I know they told you guys not to eat sugar and candy, but I brought you some anyway," and all I see it excitement across their faces. The fact that I was studying to become a teacher prior to athletic training really helped because the "candy" jar is a little trick I picked up from a course I took on class management and public speaking. Yes, it is a gimmick, but it is a slam-dunk tactic within this age group, and especially if you are unfamiliar with them. There is always a positive reaction to candy.
Knowing I had a limited amount of time, I decided to make it as interactive and visual as possible. I began with an original brief game where everyone in the room stood up, and as I read off facts about hydration; if those statements pertained to you, then you would sit. The last person, or in this case the last few persons, would receive a treat. The type of statements read were phrased such as, remain standing if you ate breakfast this morning. After each statement, the next question would be a follow up of the previous. The second was, remain standing if that breakfast included an 8oz. glass of water, and so forth. Another thing I learned about public speaking is to add humor where possible, which makes it all the more comfortable for the person doing the talking - especially if the audience laughs when they are supposed to. So, I had a few statements that read, remain standing if you had to leave your class today because you were thirsty, and Andi Tate, our host, immediately replied with, "and not to send a text message to your friend," in which everyone laughed, which was my intention.

Each statement I read was to emphasize a specific point, for example leaving class to get a drink because you were thirsty, which I would later mention, at that point where the onset of thirst occurs, you are already dehydrated. The visual element in my presentation included our Women's Soccer Hydration chart from Summer two-a-days, and I gave an example of how quickly an athlete can lose weight from practicing hard, and what the general rules and requirements are for rehydrating to maintain a given weight. With this activity, I took a volunteer's weight (a guy, of course), and drew on the whiteboard an example of what the chart looks like, and gave an imaginary, yet real life, scenario of what he would do in day-to-day hydration management.

As you can imagine, the time flew by and the next thing I know, I was getting the signal to get off stage. I did not get a chance to cover everything I wanted and I did not get a chance to hand out the examples I brought of our Hydration Chart, but I figure they would have lost them anyway, so that gives me comfort in knowing I did all that I could have done. And of course, as I left the stage, the kids wanted more candy and chocolate - and even while I was sitting along the side, they continued to try and get my attention =)

No comments: