Wednesday, March 24, 2010

TheraLase Presentation Summary


I thoroughly enjoyed the presentation given this morning on Thera Lase, which is a new product of low level laser therapy, typically used for chronic pain, wounds, and tissue recovery. The presentation was very well done, professionally given, easy to follow, and did an excellent job of explaining its use.

One of the most surprising claims the presenter made that really caught my attention was its effects on fungal infections similar to eczema, or like tinea versicolor, which is a skin condition I have had for 13 years. This was surprising to me at the time, and although I did not follow up with a question, I did my own research on the companies' website.

Upon navigating their website, there is a section on Anti-Aging Treatments, which is the closest category I could find to skin conditions. There, they talk about reducing lines and wrinkles, crows feet, blemishes, acne, scars, etc., no mention of treatment of fungal conditions. All the text says are relative to surface layer treatments and conditions whereas tinea versicolor is treated more on an internal level.

After a little more searching, I steered over to the clinical practitioner section of the website, where I discovered a little more of the information I was seeking. Although for most part, it says the same thing as the patient section, however, it gives a little more scientific background mentioning that its use increases local vascularity and capillary formation, which in turn, brings more oxygen and nutrients to the area, in order to stimulate collagen growth. There is also a list of treatable conditions that include; herpes simplex, psoriasis, rosacea, keloids, stretch marks, and others I mentioned above; but I noticed how none of those conditions are caused by a fungus. So, it is still unclear what they meant as to what skin conditions are treated with the laser. The only other explanation would be if I mistakenly heard one word for another.

No comments: