Saturday, September 13, 2008

Football and Hurricanes

I've traded earthquakes for hurricanes. Ike. According to the local and national news, this is going to be a BIG hurricane, and even looking at the size of it from satelite view, it looks to be the size of the entire Gulf - wow! I turn on CNN, and every other news channel for that matter, and they all are reporting on the conditions of the Texas coast. From the projected path, this thing looks like it will rip directly over Nac, or at least the eye will. A lot of people are evacuating from the coast and heading North. There are students from Lamar Univsersity on campus; it seems like the schools' entire Indian population came. It's all good though, I remember when Katrina hit, and USF housed a bunch of students from our New Orleans sister schools. There were kids from Xavier, some from Jackson State University, and a few others. This is no different.

There was supposed to be a football game today. We were going to host Kentucky Wesleyan at Homer Bryce Stadium. It would have been my first time covering a SFA Football game. Looks like there will be a change of plans. When I got up yesterday at 6:45a to head to practice, the sky looked eerily dark. It reminded me of Autumn afternoons in San Francisco. It was windy and the sun barely peeked through. I thought to myself, "Self, is this what the beginning of a hurricane looks like," because is so, doesn't look so bad. Of course, right now, the wind is blowing rediculously hard and I can hear branches from breaking from all the trees surrounding this area. When I look out the window, there is debris all over the streets of Wilson ave. I keep thinking the windows are going to blow out any moment. When driving back from Julie's house, I saw all the windows of businesses either boarded up, or duct taped in 'X' patterns. Supposedly, so if they break, it doesn't shatter. On Thursday, Sean and I were supposed to go to Corrigan to cover a game between Hemp Hill and Corrigan HS. Cancelled.

Back to college football on ESPN. I'm getting messages from the trainers that they are losing power. According to Sandy, the University will not lose power so I'm thankful for that. I couldn't imagine being in this place without A/C. Even though it is still cold outside, it still tends to get stuffy in this place. Tonight is supposed to be a "Hurricane Party," which is the kids do when school gets cancelled and there is nothing else to do. Yah, you got me, too! But last night, 4 of us went to the Shack and it was pretty dead, but we still had a good time. And there was a huge sign that read, "Open during Hurricane Ike" hahaha...people still need to get their drank on!

No comments: