Thursday, September 18, 2008

Rotation 2

Current 2-week rotation is football. In fact, it is no longer current because yesterday was technically the last day - even though they did not practice (walk through's on Fridays), but they are traveling this weekend to Western Illinois to play. So, with the Hurricane last week, and the away game this week, I didn't get a chance to cover football. Haha, I bet they would let me cover games if I volunteered though, they always need more people. Ehh..maybe! Not that I don't want to, it's just I like watching the games too.

The football rotation was good, my second favorite behind Nacogdoches HS, and I have Wellness Center/Nac Memorial Hospital for my next rotation. In the beginning, I thought the football rotation would not be enjoyable mainly because it seems like I do not know any of the undergraduate trainers. By the second week, it had gotten better, and it turned out to be a case of just getting used to eachother. It feels like most of the undergrads are involved with football. And just being in the ATR with them forced me to get to know them. From what I understad, their experience is going to be based on a "internship-like" curriculum, where they learn everything on-the-go. So that would explain why they constantly have to be around. I like that method, which is kind of what I did at Chabot, but the biggest difference was I was the ONLY one, so I got the chance to be involved in everything! There wasn't 18 other students around to take up my chances to do treatments, cover games/practices, evalutations, rehab programs, etc. Thanks Dan! I attribute that style of learning to how I know what I know today, or prior to entering this Grad program.

The morning practices were okay. I taped some ankles, and most of the time stood around and waited for practice to begin. In fact I completely botched he very first ankle I did. Haha I can't remember who it was, most likely a WR, but on the right foot, I didn't do any horseshoe strips!!! The left foot, which is the one I tend to do second, was fine. Afterward, I watched him sort of rip a cut into the tape near the achilles. Hahah, needless to say, he never came back to me! On the bigger guys (linemen), I always used 2" athletic tape. And for my first time using 2" tape, I did pretty good. In the beginning, I'm glad I stood back and watched the undergrads style of taping, and Dustin's style, too! It helped because I got to see what the players were used to. For example, some of the players need moleskin for stirrups, and others need combination arch-jobs with ankles, or turf-toe strappings/ankle. So by day 2, I kind of just jumped right in. When an athlete would walk in, I'd say, "What do we got? Ankles? Hop on up..." and that was all. There were only two times when an athlete deferred and said they were waiting for another trainer. That's normal. I just took Dustin's advice, and didn't take it personal. It's their preference. But you never know...you might like my tape job better ;0)

No comments: