Tuesday, October 28, 2008

4 of 5 Athletic Trainers agreee..

I gotta have some fun. This all-work and no-play is hard work! I am having fun learning, though, and we just finished a unit on the knee (which is my favorite anatomical structure), and now we're on to the hip/thigh region. I think this the proximity to Thanksgiving has me with a 'low' feeling inside, because this will be the first Thanksgiving without any familiar faces around. And, by familiar faces, I mean family. Even when I was at USF, I wasn't too far to go home for the weekend, and head back afterwards. Now, I am 2,049 miles away -- not so easy. Needless to say, I am looking forward to Christmas break. But even before that, I am looking forward to Friday Nov. 7th because that is when announcements will be made regarding Community Assistant positions (CA), and I'll know whether or not I got the job (I need this job, y'all). Cheer up...election day is almost here, and shouts to J. McBoogie for letting my crash at his pad for the break. I appreciate that.

In order to chill out, I sometimes sneak off to the Music Building late-nights and practice some piano. Man, that shit is too soothing haha. And I'm not surprised there are still folks in there at those late times of 11p and 12am sometimes. As a musician, I know, you have to perfect your craft as much as possible. Absolutely no mistakes. I'm trying to re-learn a lot of the songs I knew prior to moving out here. Now, I'm working on "Save Room" by John Legend, and "Love Lockdown" by Kanye West, in addition to adding some of my own parts to "On Bended Knee" by Boyz II Men. Other things I've been doing are, of course, the Spoken Word. I love performing that stuff, man. Here's a shot of me during the last event.

Blurry photo credits to Eazy-E Velazquez. And although you can't tell, I was pissed that Ihad to go last. I'm sorry, I know that might sound selfish, I really wanted to go on BEFORE everybody was ready to go and BEFORE half of the room emptied out. The main reason I wanted to go ahead of others is because, 98% of people were doing the same thing, which was guitar covers of popular songs (a cover is replaying a song, for those who didn't know). I mean, I respect that and all, but where's the originalty. Now, not everyone did covers, but 100% of everybody did multiple songs -- which stretched out the event to the very last minute. After one person does 4 songs, you think you won't be tired of them -- regardless of how good they are? That is insane, I think. I was thee only poet that went up (and I know this because I went last, like I mentioned), and there were two other girls who did accapella joints, and everyone else did some form of guitar covers. And I have a feeling a lot of people there probably have never heard of Spoken Word, or at least, never heard it LIVE! So, that's another reason I was pissed for going last. Anyway, now I know to show-up very early. Regardless, though, I am impressing myself with how good I am getting. I wish I was this good while at USF. I think I had it in me back then, but after my Junior year, the "Expressions" went away, so there was no incentive for me to write. Spoken Word poets not only write for themselves, as do all poets, but Spoken Word is meant to be performed. If you can't perform, I personally don't see the reason to write, other than for yourself. At SFA these events are bi-monthly so I have to stay on my toes and keep writing. I like that, and people remember that, too. I want people to expect me to bring some fire on-stage everytime I go up. I certainly expect that of myself. It's inspiring...


-The Dreamer

No comments: