Sunday, September 27, 2009

DIY Windscreen tinting

Decided it was time for some upgrades to 'ol Mean Green. Been checking out other guys with the smoked-out windscreen, and liked the way it looked. But, if you know me, I'm not about to pay $80 for an aftermarket piece of plexi-glass, when I can do-it-yourself (myself). Did a little research, and consultation (thanks, Maria - who happens to be the same Maria in the art projects waaaayyy below) with my resident Art expert, and got the same look for a cost of

  • $8 Rustoleum High-Gloss paint (Hobby Lobby)
  • $4 custom Monster logo (eBay)
  • Allen Wrench (thanks, Josh)
  • Tape (me, I'm an Athletic Trainer, remember?)
  • Newspaper, old posters (thanks, Marcus, for not posting up orgs. events in the Village)
  • Face-mask (work, from when we had that small H1N1 scare)
  • Plastic medical glove (stll, an Athletic Trainer)
  • Plastic knife (community kitchen, Village)
  • Old Towels (Athletic Training room)

Step 1. Remove the windscreen from your bike. Since I originally had trouble finding an allen-wrench, I thought about painting it while still attached. Ehh, wouldn't have worked out...


Step 2. Do not lose your screws. There are a total of (4), with two of them being longer than the others.


Step 3. Find an open area to paint. Since I live in a college resident hall, I just used the parking garage. I used a small plastic knife to lightly scuff up the inside. Keyword, lightly!!! Then, washed it off with some hand soap, and a squeegee. Those particular steps aren't necessary. In fact, it is recommended to use window cleaner, and an old toothbrush for what I just did.
Notice how there is newspaper covering the front side. Yes, people were stopping and staring, and seeing what I was doing. Especially while I had the mask on =)

Step 4. This is where the screws go. I covered this part with newspaper, too. Probably isn't necessary, but I did it anyway


Step 5. Paint. Which ever type of paint you use, read the instructions for application. I used light strokes side-to-side, holding the can about 8 inches away. The paint went on quite thick from that distance. Yet, had I gone any further, the paint may have gotten all over my jeans. Not happy

Step 6. Stand back and admire. It's recommended you let it sit for about 30min-1hr., but I didn't have time for all of that, so I just applied the second coat after about 10mins. Also, I live in a very humid climate. Even at this time, about 8:30p, it was probably 85 degs. outside.
Step 7. Let it dry. I just placed it in my bathrooom.

Step 8. The next day, pull off the paper and check her out. This was approximately 9 hours later.

Step 9. Ready for a test spin!!!!

No comments: