Friday, October 9, 2009

Pulling the plug on KDNZ? Well, I have something to say

As former General Manager (03-06), I feel sad about this whole ordeal, too, but I also feel angry. So I apologize if this sounds more like a rant, than a comment.

In my heart, I love USF and wouldn't trade my time there for anything, but I don't think the people in positions of power are doing enough to save KDNZ. Period.

There was a ton of work and sweat that went into making KDNZ what it became, at what I believe was its highest point. Not taking away what those accomplished before me, because you all set us up to be successful, but it is frustrating to read that this place is sinking so soon after it was handed over so well off.

When I left, there was a steady LIVE stream of online music, not just a preset playlist that people could click and download. The Mobile DJ Service was very prosperous, often being booked months in advance, and was by far the most visible attribute of the station. I remember presenting the information of doing 54 events in a year, as means to justify our Executive Board stipend raises. Those 54 events were FREE of charge, by the way. We had former students (Jimmy can support this) who would return, and be wowed by what we had accomplished. I remember one Friday we sat in the station and an old student/member came in and reminisced about his old days there, and how the equipment still hadn't changed! But he was amazed to see how far we had advanced.
Also, there were DJ's audtioning to be able to spin in the Harney Plaza during our weekly concert series. There were artists calling in about getting interviews, doing shows, live in-studio performances, etc.

And I know Jimmy P., Tri V., and George E. will remember USF Senate and others, controversial decision not to finance the station's antenna repair proposal. The repair would have costs around $3,700 while the replacement would have been in the $9,000 range. Those were the figures we were quoted, and presented to either ASUSF, SuperFund, or Senate; one of those bodies. We were ultimately denied. As well as Jimmy's personal campaign to bring KDNZ Channel 3 back, once it was shut off-air still for no sufficient reason. Then, mysteriously, some members of Senate (James K. and Casey F.) created the idea for USFTv, which sounded a lot like what we already had in place, but was shut down without any clear explanation. Coincidentally, the creator behind USFTv was a part of those governing organizations. I just think it is "fishy" how the guy heading the A/V Dept. all of a suddent takes our channel off-air, then is unable to provide a reason why. I can't remember his name but he was a red/brown hair guy, and I remember specifically Jimmy and I NOT confronting him because we had gotten word that his wife had recently passed. So we decided to take the heat off for a while. But prior to that, we were hounding his Dept. for answers, and demanding to meet with him, but he was never available.

I'm not suggesting this was a conspiracy to rid KDNZ, but I'm saying I don't think there was enough done to make sure KDNZ was saved. I didn't get the impression then, and certainly not after I left. There were people who definitely had our backs, especially Marci T. finding us multiple advisors, and even arranging lunches with the Jesuits, but we never really felt like we had the University's full support.

After Jason V. aka "Trackademicks" graduated, he handed me a station that was unorganized and chaotic, yet underneath the stacks of papers everywhere and unopened envelopes, was a functional and revenue-generating on-campus club. Next to Campus Activities Board (CAB) and perhaps College Players, KDNZ was second-highest profiting organization. As an Exercise & Sports Science major, not even related to Music/Business/Media in any way, I took the station and dedicated three full years of my life. My Summers were spent in there cleaning, reading old emails, letters from people I didn't know named Howcrio Burley, Patrick Lagreid, etc. which I found to be former GM's like myself. All I'm saying is, I took the station and made it my personal goal to see it succeed, and left it with a worthy successor as dedicated as I was, and I'm sure he did the same after he left, but although I hate to believe it, I just don't think the University has done enough to ensure KDNZ's future existence.

Sad day....

No comments: